A few nights back, Brian and I took some images from the SEM. We exported them into TIF format, and then copied them via Sneakernet, a.k.a. using 3.5″ floppy disks and a portable USB floppy reader. I converted them into .png files. Click them for full 1024×768 resolution, the limit of the Leica image capture board. I’m very happy with how they turned out.
Posts Tagged ‘Projects’
Back in January, we got word that Philip Strong, a past member of PS:One, worked for a company that needed to get rid of a working scanning electron microscope and was considering donating it to PS:One. While we have an existing SEM in the space (a Leica S440, owned by JP, a member), this one supposedly was fully functional, had documentation, and we could get some help from the microscopist, Susan Young, who used it. Of course we were interested!
On Monday the 18th, I learn that yes, the donation was approved, but with a catch: It had to be moved on Saturday the 23rd! Read the rest of this entry →
It is impossible to buy presents for my dad. I’ve exhausted my repertoire of gifts. I pride myself on giving fantastic gifts, but the man seems hell-bent on flabbergasting me. So, when I finally figured out this year’s Father’s Day gift, I felt damn proud.
A little context – my dad’s father died almost two years ago, and I’d been hanging onto a shell casing from the 5-gun veteran’s salute since then.
I decided to make a pen out of the casing. See a breakdown of process below. Much credit to Jordan, because you all know I can’t operate any of the shop machinery. Yet.
1. Cut off the casing end from hollow shell body and drill a wider opening. The brass is very soft so use a rubber clamp and a jewelry cutting saw.
2. Cut, hollow out, and finish hard wood shaft for pen body extension. Stain if you so choose. I used a light cherry stain as the wood was almost white.
3. Epoxy and insert wood shaft into wide end of shell casing, and epoxy casing end to opposite end of wood shaft as pen cap.
4. Mold hot glue into removable stopper for pen tip using WD-40 to keep glue from sticking to ink insert and shape into cone using heated blade (neat side effect is that the glue becomes glassy and transparent). Pop in pen tip with glue stopper!
I hope he likes it. I’m going to give it to him on Friday. 🙂
Nick’s latest project is a replica daft punk helmet. With some help from Dan and his PhlatPrinter Nick was able cut out some parts from his Google SketchUp Design. Dan made a short video of what they did and promoting how collaboration through Pumping Station: One is totally awesome! Great work Nick and Dan!
I couldn’t find any wire reinforced clothesline, so experimented with thermostat wire and others: basically, check out the wire section of your local hardware store and test what they’ve got. You’re looking for something bendable, but that will retain its shape, and can definitely be doubled up on itself, hopefully flush, without a little loop at the end. Some wire types I found did this better than others.
Also, you’ll want to use chunky, bulky or worsted weight yarn, or else you’ll be winding for a very long time.
I’ve made three, and they’re pretty quick once you get going, other than having to remember how to do cursive and remembering that i’s and j’s have the problem of not easily being able to do dots with this format.
PS:One has recently expanded its space and will be moving the workshop into a separate room to accommodate more tools and electronics. Today, a bunch of people got together to build some new workbenches and move some tools into the new shop.
Here’s a photo of what we have so far:
The three tables were built today. Two of them are pretty basic, but what’s that wierd stuff on the bottom of that one?
That’s a cockamamie caster system to make this table roll. The casters are on a hinged board so the legs can still operate as normal when the board flips up, but when the table is lifted the board will flip itself down and those hinged supports above it brace the casters into position, making it a pretty sturdy rolling table. Nathan Witt got this idea from another hackerspace. (If anyone knows which one it was I’ll credit them, thanks for the idea!)
You can also see our new shelves behind the tables. Jen Savage and Tim Winkler donated them and they’ll definitely see plenty of good use here. Thanks guys!
Thing-A-Day is a month long creative sprint where you have to make something new every day. Some of us here at Pumping Station: One are going to be participating. We’ll be logging our efforts here — enjoy!
One day after a Pumping Station: One meeting, Patrick and I arbitrarily set ourselves to making a light box. This is what ensued.
The design was completely ad hoc and the workmanship was sub-sub-standard, but it came together exactly as I pictured it. The biggest problem was that neither of us really knew how to make a light box. Most importantly we didn’t have poster board to use for the backing or lights to properly light the item. We just built the box and covered it with some fabric we found in the space, and we positioned the box to use ambient lighting as well as we could. If someone were to make one of these in more than 15 minutes, those would be the things to change. That and actually looking at real instructions from people who know what they’re doing.
Last night, I had the honor of an interview with Irish Radio show IT Freely. I discussed hackerspaces in general, Pumping Station: One, and the nanotech and Scanning Tunneling Electron Microscope projects I’m working on (look on my personal website), and the current state of garage tinkering and science.