Frank Hammer, a retired scientist from Monsanto, will be giving a talk tonight on Genetics and Epigenetics. The session is divided into two parts:
1. General genetics, which would include the structure of DNA,
2. How the four bases or nucleotides, adenine, thymine, guanine and cytosine are paired,
3. What is a gene,
4. What is messenger RNA (mRNA)
5. How mRNA codes for proteins,
6. What is a codon,
7. How proteins are manufactured in the ribosome,
8. Answering questions.
1. The polymerase chain reaction (PCR), which is how we multiply DNA millions of times so it can be forensically and biologically analyzed,
2. Epigenetics, its causes and effects,
3. Answering questions.
Frank has been involved in the life sciences for about sixty years. Has written two book chapters, many reports, including one about antisense which was published by Frost & Sullivan. Frank has eight patents, in the fields of food technology and diagnostic biochemistry. His avocations are reading and writing poetry.
And that’s all Frank wants to say about himself… Find out more at the meeting 🙂
See you all soon!
Tue, August 27, 9:00pm – 10:00pm
PS:One, 2nd Floor
3519 N. Elston Chicago, IL 60618