I’ve been bugged to death lately about doing another FPGA intro class…and after a full year, it’s finally here. We’ll be going over some theory & concepts first before we hit the real stuff. Familiarity with digital logic circuits is highly recommended, but you will still learn something regardless. A basic overview of what will be covered:
- Combinational Logic – Basic Logic Gates
- Sequential Logic – Flips Flops
- CPLD – Complex Programmable Logic Device
- FPGA – Field Programmable Gate Array
- Nintendo DS ReView – An Example of What FPGAs Can Do
- Xilinx ISE & Verilog – Synthesizing the First Project
- Using Clocks – Blink that LED!
- State Machines – Alternate between blinking different LEDs!
- Video Example – Making an 8-bit VGA controller
I’ll be using the Elbert FPGA development board for most of the examples we’ll be doing. Having the board is not required to attend. I will bring a disc with the software tools in case anyone would like to install them. We will be using Verilog as the HDL (hardware description language) in this class, since that is what I am familiar with.
- Who: Anyone (Open to the Public)
- When: Sunday, April 27th – 2:00pm to 4:00pm….but we can chill until 5:00pm.
- Where: 3519 N. Elston – 2nd Floor in the Electronics Lab
- Cost: FREE